Report - 1/12/2020

Got a chance to play 2 games of both DiceWing (including with some modifications) and a new game to be added soon (Roll and Fight). Here’s how it went:

Two pairs played DiceWing. One pair tried without the “2nd player drafts 2 dice” rule, and experience suffered as a result of an early d10% being captured, leaving only 1 d10% to dominate in future rounds.

The first thing we discovered was a strong desire to play many more rounds, including a 3rd, 4th, and even 5th draft. This is the only way it felt “concluded”, so this probably has to happen in some form.

The next thing was agreement of modifying the d10% to be 1-10, instead of 10-100. With this change, I think it may need to be necessary to change the Targeting Bonus to “if your dice display two odd or two even printed values.” This bonus originally existed to allow fairly reliable victory over opposing d10% die, but that’s no longer necessary either. Although it feels somewhat awkward, it does make Collateral Damage more impactful.

Last was an assumption that the dice which were captured were going to be totaled (by value showing) to determine the winner at the end of the game. I’m still a bit worried about the difficulty of keeping those dice on their original faces when they have to be shoved off to the side a bit.

Then all 4 players played Roll and Fight together. At first, we played the “rotating 1v1” way, where player 1-4 are clockwise around the table, and the battles are 1-vs-2 & 3-vs-4, then 1-vs-4 and 2-vs-3, and then repeating those two configurations.

We quickly realized the merit of having a 4-player free-for-all when we tried it for the second game, though I’m not sure the entire game should be that way.

The next modification we tried was increasing the relative value of the “Fight” space by limiting a “Roll” space die chosen to be rerolled to only a single reroll (instead of 2 rerolls for a “Fight” space die).

And last, we came back to play DiceWing again, this time also in a 4-player free-for-all. The draft was modified to be a snake draft (e.g. - 1-2-3-4-4-3-2-1, repeated). Winning earned a player the highest-value die from each other player’s Launch Bay. The game flowed somewhat beautifully this way, though we had 1 or 2 math troubles at certain points. We played 3 draft rounds, and the game crept up to about 30 minutes in length.

Overall, the results were good: People love rolling a big handful of dice, and the games were short and sweet as intended. I want to keep them that way, so I’m currently brainstorming ways to achieve the feeling of completion many expressed a desire for without extending playtime very much.